Monday, April 24, 2017
My #TheMagicians season 2 review @MagiciansSyfy
Season two was better than season one. I feel it was much more of a complete story. Season one set up the beast as the Big Bad. By the end of that season we only knew who the beast was but they did not win their big battle. By the end of season two, all of the open storylines had been closed up: The Beast/Martin Chadwick was defeated, the wellsping was restored, Julia was made whole, Alice was revived, peace was restored with the northern kingdom, and Reynard the Fox was neutralized. After these accomplishments, the kings and queens of Fillory are faced with new bigger problems: the old gods shut off magic and the fairies lay siege to the royal castle. Better yet, by the end of the season, all the personal grudges the characters had against each other all fell aside as they dealt with their insane life struggles.
Here are some of my favorite things about this season.
- "You know of Swayze?" The old knight — who looks not unlike the knight from the Last Crusade — is a little unsure as to what year it is on Earth.
- "A godly floater." Ember taking a dump in the wellspring in an episode titled "The Divine Elimination." They do have a great skill of naming their episodes, BTW. Ember describing his poop to the Beast is one of the funniest moments of the season.
- "Surely someone has snuck into your office and dramatically stabbed a knife into a map to make a point, no?” When the kings and queens are cursed to kill each other, this is the best line as they look for ways to carry out the curse.
- "Oh, Prince Ess." When they meet the royal from Loria, thinking people have been saying "princess."
- The bank job. Everyone came together for a great heist story where they stole gold from a bank on Earth to use for the treasury on Fillory and to pay for Julia's demigod abortion.
- Les Miserables. The week that The Flash was doing a musical crossover with Supergirl, The Magicians blew them out of the water with a rousing version of the final song of Act 1 of Les Mis. I think Prince Ess should have join in the singing. It was one of the best moments of TV so far this year. Watch below.
Labels: The Magicians