The third episode this season skips over the Oceanic Six gathering in Los Angeles for the very special adventures of Desmond and Penny. This had to be the Desmond episode so the appearance of young Charles Widmore would coincide with a big Widmore episode. Most of Desmond's story was reminder filler story so we could remember what Daniel was doing at Oxford and how it was similar to the plight of the survivors. But the big story is of course about Widmore. We was part of the Others back in the 50's. This predates the Dharma Initiative. He clearly knows a lot about the island since he funded Daniel's research on time travel. It also appears the Others didn't have any possessions. Their camp, clothing, and guns are all taken from the US Army. In modern times they live in captured Dharma housing. Who are these people? Clearly Richard has been there forever but what about the other Others? This mystery is deepening. But the nosebleeds are taking a turn for the worse and Charlotte passed out in the cliffhanger ending.
Here's what we learned:
- Widmore was an Other!
- Richard was at Locke's birth because Locke told him about it
- Richard's always been on the island
- Penny hasn't seen Widmore since returning from the island
- Desmond and Penny are heading to L.A.
- Desmond and Penny's son is named Charlie. He was born in the opening flashback.
And more new questions:
- How did Juliet know that Richard was always on the island?
- Who does Daniel think Ellie looks like? My guess: his mother.
- How did the US Army find the island?
- If everything the Others have is taken from other people, how are they going to fill the bomb with lead and concrete?
- How did Widmore get to the island?
- Where are Bernard, Rose, and any other beach survivors?