Tuesday, August 22, 2006
My Super Sweet 16
I've been watching this show on MTV called My Super Sweet 16 for a few weeks now. It is such a train wreck. It follows around rich teenage girls (and black boys) whose parents have way too much money and spend it on these lavish parties for their spoiled kids. Here's what usually happens in each episode:
- The birthday girl (or boy) introduces her/his fabulous lifestyle.
- The party theme is described.
- The invitations are handed out in the lavish way.
- Many are left with an invite.
- The kids have some blow-up with their parents over something very trivial.
- They fly off to New York or Paris to get their outfit(s).
- Something goes terribly wrong the day of the party, but gets resolved at the last minute.
- They show up in a stretch Hummer or something fabulous.
- The party is a huge success.
- Some kids try to crash the party but get kicked out.
- Some famous singer or group shows up to perform.
- The kid gets a super expensive car (or cars).
- The teenager quotes the cost of the party and the proclaims "I'm worth it."
Most of the time, the focus of the episode is a spoiled little girl, but I've seen a few episodes with boys. All of then were African American kids. I don't know what that is all about. I saw one this morning with the gayest teen ever, Bjorn. His party included a fashion show and took place in the mall after closing. I hope these kids enjoy their time in high school, because the real world is going to suck ass for them later.
I like MTVs video interface. And it works on Macs, which is something VH1 needs to take care of. Networks need to not be so worried about digital rights of their 2 minute clips. Or that can be, and fade into obscurity.
Links to this post: