Saturday, August 26, 2006

 

Goodbye Robert: PR #7

On Project Runway this season, Robert the Barbie designer was one of my favorites. I liked him, even if he didn't do anything great since the first couple weeks. It has been clear recently that he was in trouble. I knew he wouldn't make it to the end, But I had hoped he'd get further than this. This week he got the boot with a nice looking but boring tank dress and cape thingy. I felt Jeffrey did a worse job this week, but he has done better than Michael over all in the show. I think that was a fair way to decide who was out this week. Just because someone has one bad week as Jeffrey did designing for the heavyset mother of Angela, doesn't mean he should be out. It was great to see reality shows doing something fair for a change.

Anyway this challenge of designing for the everyday woman reminded me of an old Kids in the Hall skit called the Darcie Pernell show. This fake talk show had on this French designer who had a line of clothes for the ugly woman. Nothing is too horrible for the ugly woman. The two items I remember included a dress made from Fiberglas insulation and show which were boxes with broken glass in them. Maybe that will be next week.

Comments:
I don't watch this show, but I caught a few minutes of it. I thought the guy who made the other person's mother cry was really mean. It's just a matter of time until his time comes. Hello, customer service.
 
I think when someone who's heavy tells you their favorite colors are black and red, you don't make them an outfit with black pants and and orange-red cape thing. She looked so unhappy.

However, I don't know what I would have designed either. I think they all had trouble. I can't imagine getting clothes to even fit correctly for these women is an easy task. I bet they just didn't show the parts where every designer is madly using elastic, scotch tape, and staples to get the clothes to even fit. Everyone was probably in tears.
 
Please don't feel sorry for Robert. He has a dream job. A Barbie designer! Mattel, big money, cool job like that. Aw man, I would be lovin life. I would'nt even care if I had to design for Skipper to be sold at the Dollar Tree store, I would be stoked to be in his shoes.

He was way to conservative. His downfall was not vision, but the scale of his vision. I think they said he was 10 years at the Barbie wonderland. I'm sure playing it safe was instilled in this talented guy.

I bet if Jackie O were to be standing before him, he would create a awesome suit out of that blue fabric he chose. If he would have stuck barbies head on all his designs, he would have been hard to beat.

However, I am glad he is out. I have a 4 year old daughter and about 140 barbies and probably 1,000 outfits, some of which Robert may have designed. It certainly pleases me to know that each time I struggle dressing a Barbie, a nice guy might have made the sleeves to tight.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?