Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Who gets a second year?
- 'Til Death – (Spring) Comedy about a middle-aged couple living next door to a newlywed couple and hilarity ensues. (Fall) This is the show that makes me happy I'm gay. The entire joke is about how crappy it is to be married for a long time. My parents are happy. I love Jolie Fisher, though. (Now) I’m still not watching it next season.
- Shark – (Spring) Another law show starring James Woods as a prosecutor. Just what CBS needs. (Fall) Is that the one with James Woods or Ray Liota? Either way a show with the only asset being a movie star is destined to fail. (Now) I still see no reason why anyone would watch this.
- The Game – (Spring) It's about a woman dating a professional football player. I'll pass because none of the football players look hot. (Fall) I didn't watch Girlsfriends so I don't need to watch its spin-off. (Now) ditto.
- Ugly Betty – (Spring) based on the wildly popular telenovela, a "TV Ugly" woman goes to work in the world of high fashion. (Fall) [I’m not watching this] 'cause she's ugly. (Now) This turned out to be one of the best new shows last year. It was funny and campy with all the fun of Dynasty. I hope it runs for seven seasons.
- Men in Trees – (Spring) Oh my gods, they let Anne Heche back on TV! And in a show that's described as Sex and the City meets Northern Exposure. This won't make it to Thanksgiving. (Fall) Anne Heche is crazy and this terrible rip off of Northern Exposure is sure to be the first show cancelled. I wonder if ABC picked this up just so they would have something to cancel. (Now) Wow, how did this show make it? Who are the insane people watching this?
- Brothers & Sisters – (Spring) Ally McBeal stars in a new nighttime soap about a large family. (Fall) Night time soaps about families are only interesting when there are huge empires or dynasties involved. Plus Calista Flockhart frightens me. (Now) I heard good things about this and started sandbagging it. Unfortunately my DVR croaked so I’ll have to watch season one on DVD this summer. Or not.
- Heroes – (Spring) It's kind of like The X-Men or The 4400. People become superheros. Looks like it could be good expect SciFi never lasts for more than a season on NBC, if they are lucky. (Fall) It's like the X-men but not at all different. SciFi never lasts on NBC so enjoy the ride and hope for a full season. (Now) I’m so happy this was good and people caught on to it. I can see this running for a long time.
- Friday Night Lights – (Spring) Football players are hot! (Fall) How much stories can you have about teens being yelled at by their coach? And what if we like the characters? Will this show follow them to college? Those games aren't on Friday night. (Now) this was low rated but it still got renewed. I’m happy to see they moved it to Friday nights.
- 30 Rock – (Spring) It's the COMEDY about SNL. Looks good. (Fall) NBC comedy about SNL. Tina Fey is a brilliant comedy writter and Alec Baldwin was perfect on Will & Grace so this has lots of funny potential. (Now) This was clearly the best comedy on TV last year. It was funny and silly and the characters were great. I can’t wait for season 2.